Watch Men
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LUMINOSITY IN WATCHES a basic primer

2 posters

Go down

LUMINOSITY IN WATCHES a basic primer Empty LUMINOSITY IN WATCHES a basic primer

Post by docrwm Mon 30 Aug 2010, 3:08 pm

I've posted this link and article before elsewhere, it remains a top intro to the issue of Lume for any WIS.

From the Intro to the article:
This article says nothing particularly new, but its purpose is to bring together information as it relates largely to the use and perception of luminous material in watches. A luminous watch is not of much help if we can't see it in the dark, so first we take a brief look at night vision and the performance of the dark-adapted eye. Then we look at the kinds of materials used and examine their properties and application. For those of us that need more, some detailed references are provided throughout the text.

The rest can be seen at:
http://www.kronometric.org/article/lume/

Thanks to XpatUSA for all the hard work!

Oh, and on the Superluminova vs Tritium issue:
LUMINOSITY IN WATCHES a basic primer QIT200_fig4
docrwm
docrwm
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

LUMINOSITY IN WATCHES a basic primer Empty Re: LUMINOSITY IN WATCHES a basic primer

Post by bodypeersur Mon 30 Aug 2010, 4:40 pm

That's very interesting Robert. All I know about lume is that most of my watches are readable when I wake up in the middle of the night and check the time. I'm not exactly sure what type of lume are used on most of them. I am presuming that Superluminova was used.
bodypeersur
bodypeersur
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

LUMINOSITY IN WATCHES a basic primer Empty Re: LUMINOSITY IN WATCHES a basic primer

Post by docrwm Mon 30 Aug 2010, 4:44 pm

Modern watches predominantly have SuperLuminova. However, Invicta has something better......different called Tritnite as I recall.

Superluminova was developed by a Seiko subsidary and is not the best stuff out there, what Seiko uses is. Some say its the same but generally Seiko lume is brighter and last longer.

Older watches uses Tritium which is NOT related to Tritnite but is a radioactive (VERY low) compound.

So, it depends on what kind of watch and how old it is what is on it making it glow up.
docrwm
docrwm
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down