Watch Men
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great New Toy!

5 posters

Go down

Great New Toy! Empty Great New Toy!

Post by Northwestguy Thu 20 Jan 2011, 9:18 pm

Hey Y'all! Just received a de-magnetizer from Jake Bourdeau:

Great New Toy! IMG_4120

My Oris Frank Sinatra was running fast.........about 20 seconds in 24 hours. I wondered if it was because I used my dremel tool to buff the case. It did get very hot to the touch. 3 days ago, I was getting ready in the morning and decided I would wear the Sinatra. I pull out the crown, set the date and time and push the crown in to wind. When I went to wind it, the crown was frozen. It felt locked and wouldn't budge. I panicked and tried over and over but no movement. In any case, I was just about to call a watchmaker when I received the demagnetizer that I had ordered from Jake. I immediately opened the packaging and plugged it in. I followed the directions and placed the watch (case back down) on the unit:

Great New Toy! IMG_4121

You then hold down the button for 5 seconds and no more than 10 seconds: In this demo, I did not have the unit plugged in but if it were, you would see the little indicator light go on when the red button is depressed.

Great New Toy! IMG_4122

Then, while continuing to hold down the button, move the watch approximately 1 meter (just over 3 feet) away from the unit and release the button.

When I had the watch on the unit and pressed the button, I felt a vibration for about 2-3 seconds and then it stopped. Thinking back, it may have been the spring unwinding. I immediately went to wind the watch and............................."BINGO" it worked. I was totally amazed and so very happy that I avoided having a costly service. The machine seemed to work as it was supposed to. My guess is that the watch became magnetized by the high speed of the dremel and the heat it generated. Don't know if that is even possible and there certainly may have been other factors as well. The spring became so tight that it eventually bound up and didn't allow the crown to move. I think the vibration I felt was the spring unwinding. It will be interesting to re-time the watch and see how it is running. I'll save doing that til the next day or so or maybe this weekend. In any event, the unit is very inexpensive and I think it is a great tool to have around. My understanding is that watches that are magnetized will run fast (not slow). Contact Jake if you are interested!

Northwestguy
Northwestguy
Senior WatchMan
Senior WatchMan

Back to top Go down

Great New Toy! Empty Re: Great New Toy!

Post by docrwm Thu 20 Jan 2011, 10:52 pm

Wow, that is terrific news. Very glad that you got the mainspring demagnetized! Nice photo spread and explanation too. Thanks!
docrwm
docrwm
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

Post by porschefan Fri 21 Jan 2011, 1:56 am

I like the "continue holding the button down while moving the watch away..." very Buck Rogers sounding.

porschefan
porschefan
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

Post by bodypeersur Fri 21 Jan 2011, 9:55 am

Glad to hear that seemed to be the problem. I don't even want to THINK about service prices!!! affraid LMAO! Even the the Tim Special! Laughing
bodypeersur
bodypeersur
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

Post by docrwm Fri 21 Jan 2011, 11:58 am

bodypeersur wrote:Glad to hear that seemed to be the problem. I don't even want to THINK about service prices!!! affraid LMAO! Even the the Tim Special! Laughing

Now Duff, Tim is a very reliable person with a broad set of experiences and a depth of watch knowledge. I'm sure he'll be able to wind your watch and send it back to you. Laughing
docrwm
docrwm
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

Post by andrema Fri 21 Jan 2011, 1:35 pm

docrwm wrote:
bodypeersur wrote:Glad to hear that seemed to be the problem. I don't even want to THINK about service prices!!! affraid LMAO! Even the the Tim Special! Laughing

Now Duff, Tim is a very reliable person with a broad set of experiences and a depth of watch knowledge. I'm sure he'll be able to wind your watch and send it back to you. Laughing
Tim, maybe you can borrow John's demagnetizer and take care of Duffs watch...now that would be some profit Twisted Evil
andrema
andrema
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

Post by docrwm Fri 21 Jan 2011, 3:44 pm

andrema wrote:
docrwm wrote:

Tim, maybe you can borrow John's demagnetizer and take care of Duffs watch...now that would be some profit Twisted Evil

I hear that you can make your own at home out of old lamp wire and plug. Even more profit. Popcorn
docrwm
docrwm
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

Post by bodypeersur Fri 21 Jan 2011, 5:01 pm

You are a bunch of freakin FUNNY MEN!!! Well, my watch is on the truck to be delivered to Vahram as I type this! That's right, it should be safe in Vahram's hands within minutes! Tim is OUT OF TOWN so he can't mess with my Breitling!!! And John, I apologize for these ne'er do wells hijacking this thread! SUMMABEECHEZ!!!!
bodypeersur
bodypeersur
Man About Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down